Breast Cancer Month
This October, in honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Boca Terry is proud to partner once again with METAvivor, a non-profit organization that is close to our hearts, working hard to improve and extend the lives of individuals living with Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer (or MBC).
For the entire month of October, Boca Terry will donate 10% of our proceeds to breast cancer research, awareness and support.
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. (About 2,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in men in 2018.)
- In 2018, an estimated 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 63,960 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer. Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women.
- 5% of those diagnosed with breast cancer are Stage IV at the time of diagnosis.
- 30% will eventually progress from Stages 0, I, II and III to become Stage IV.
- MBC patients live, on average, 18 to 24 months after diagnosis.
- Stage 0 patients can and do metastasize.
- Patients can and do metastasize 30 years or more after treatment.
- In the US, over 40,000 people die from MBC each year. 113 women and men die every day from MBC.
- Remarkably, despite these dire statistics, research dedicated to the already metastasized cancer patients is funded at only 2 to 3%.
While there is broad awareness of breast cancer, MBC is a disease that is rarely acknowledged or discussed. METAvivor is looking to change that.
You can donate directly to METAvivor on their website. 100% of your tax-deductible donation goes to fund research for Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer.